Back pain relief: do you think it is none of your concern? 80% of us will suffer from back pain at some point in our life. In the US, 12 million back pain sufferers visit their doctors every year and a mere 100 millions go to the chiropractor. One can easily imagine the side costs in […]
Back pain relief: do you think it is none of your concern? 80% of us will suffer from back pain at some point in our life. In the US, 12 million back pain sufferers visit their doctors every year and a mere 100 millions go to the chiropractor. One can easily imagine the side costs in lost working days (60 millions a year in the UK), energy and overall life enjoyment. This places back pain as the number one debilitating health problem after heart disease.
Now to make matters worse, it appears from years of medical practice that most of existing treatments remains highly questionable. “Dramatic surgical successes, unfortunately, apply to only some 1% of patients with low back disorders. Our failure is in the remaining 99% of patients with simple back ache, for whom, despite new investigations and all our treatments, the problem has become progressively worse” (James Weinstein and Sam Wiesel, The Lumbar Spine, WB Saunders Co, Philadelphia, 1990). Between of 200,000 to 400,000 patients who go under the knife every year in the USA, around 30,000 will experience considerably more pain than experienced before the treatment.
Back pain is a symptom that may have multiple causes. Our modern medicine unfortunately seeks, first and foremost, to alleviate the pain, the symptoms, at the expense of the underlying reasons.
Undesired outcome will result from poor and even dangerous diagnostics, unproven and inappropriate treatment and unfortunate regional anesthesia.
Further, it appears that inadequate surgery causes disastrous residual back pain. For example Henri La Rocca, clinical Pr. at Tulane University (New Orleans), found a fifty percent-success rate in the case of laminectomy, whereby the surgeon removes a disc and close by bone to give more space to the nerve to move without being compressed or trapped by the spine.
Thousands cases of chronic debilitating back pain are also caused by diagnostics involving dye injected into the canal spaces and trickled around and into nerve roots and discs in the back. The introduction of a foreign product causes the middle membrane of the spinal cord to become scarred. Nerves atrophy and enmeshed in dense scar tissue, which presses on the spine causing endless chronic pain.
Let’s add to this list that lots of back pack pain relief treatments are fads; they come and go as they are adopted as “the new kids on the block” type of treatment to be soon discarded for the next craze when facts prove they do not work. An example is the injection of steroids in the facet joints showing that these injections were not better than injecting saline water.
Is that to say that most general practitioners do not have a clue as to what exactly causes most back conditions? Well I leave you to be the judge of that. I would seriously question any diagnostic that has been rendered without looking into the individual’s nutrition, lifestyle, psychological condition and medical history.
Also, postsurgical scarring can cause chronic back pain: As the nerve is surgically being separated from herniated disc, the procedure may result in nerve injury also causing scarring and long term chronic pressure on the nerve and back pain.
Prevention is essential when it comes to back pain relief. It would be really too long for me to explain all possible solutions in this blog. I am actually about to publish an entire book on the subject so watch out for its coming release on Kindle.
Before going under the knife consider non-invasive chiropractic or osteopathic treatments.
One of the most basic courses of action, whenever chronic pain is involved, is a more appropriate diet, one that lowers inflammation in the body, source of chronic pain.
Go alkaline: eat leafy greens. Increase the amount of omega 3 and magnesium sources. Cacao is the number one source of magnesium which can also be found in leafy greens. So you can go wrong in supercharging your diet with leafy greens!
Manage your stress: that can’t be “stressed” enough;)! And exercise, check out our free back pain relief program by simply giving us your email address and receive our newsletter.
This program has been tested over a number of years on many individuals and proves efficient if observed on a regular basis.
Aude is an ex corporate Lawyer with a passion for health, self development and independence which lead her to give up her former career to help others through health.
If you are serious about feeling and being younger, not matter what your age is, enter your email below to get the best tips on how to slow down your ageing process
If you are serious about being really healthy enter your email below to get the best tips on how to achieve true well being in your life!